Situated in the heart of the Nantes vineyard, 2 km from Gorges, this 18th-century château features elegant rooms with antique furniture. Wine tasting sessions as well as guided tours of the castle and the estate are available.
The Bertrand-Geslin family, friends of Lemot (see the history of Clisson), are redeveloping the whole estate in several stages. From 1800, around a trapezoidal courtyard, outbuildings and a monumental slate-covered tufa porch were built. This complex was built in the neoclassical style of the time. The exterior fittings precede the construction of the dwelling. In 1807, Bertrand-Geslin had the park planted with rare species, native trees and boxwood. In the middle of the park, it opens a perspective on the Château de Clisson, a perspective that still exists today. To the west and east stand two single-storey buildings. The one on the west, dating from 1820, has a row of six oculus (circular niches surrounded by briquettes) on its façade, housing busts of famous men: Olivier de Clisson, Condé, Duquesne, Jean Bart, Bayard and Duguesclin. This is the famous Gallery of the Illustrious. This stone iconography evokes, in many ways, the statues of the Nantes Stock Exchange by the sculptor Debay père. Also, without precise writings, the creation of the busts of the Illustrious is attributed to Debay Sr. The main dwelling, an Italian-style villa, dating from 1830/35 is built in a style known as "Clissonnaise" (see history of Clisson and the Wars of the Vendée). Exceptional fact of this style, it is the main dwelling and not the outbuildings that borrows the major features of rustic Italian-style architecture: Genoese cornice fittings, chimney stumps, window frames with wide bands, oculus...The architects remained unknown, but it is legitimate to assume that Bertrand-Geslin, because of his position as mayor of Nantes, was in contact with the most famous architects of the time, such as Mathurin Crucy.
For nearly seven centuries, vines have been cultivated at l'Oiselinière. Since 1335, people have been talking about vines. Of course, at the time, they were not used to make wine but alcohol. They were called "chauffe" wines. The first Muscadet vines appeared in the south of Nantes in 1635 and it was at l'Oiselinière that they were planted. A parchment, deposited in the Departmental Archives attests to this. It reads as follows: Jean Goulet de la Fosse de Nantes, leases to several private individuals in the parish of Gorges, a piece of 78 boisselées called "Grands Gâts", depending on the land of the Oiselinière, to plant it with white Muscadet vines". These plots are always the same. The property has remained in one piece. All the vines are grouped around the Château. They are south-west facing and dominate the right bank of the Sèvre Nantaise river. This plateau is made up of a bedrock known as "gabbro". The gabbro is a rock which, unlike basalt, has undergone slow cooling allowing crystallisation to take place, hence the presence of crystals. Its grainy structure is green/black and very dense, known as plutonic. This exceptional soil, the sunny exposure and the constant ventilation of the vines give rise to particularly aromatic and fine wines.
By stopping at l'Oiselinière, we will help you discover our historic vineyard and our wines of excellence. You will take the time to rest and relax in our guest rooms and at our table. But also, we will guide your steps in our region rich in history, unusual places and modernity.